North Valley Attorneys
North Valley Attorney is a local law firm lead by Joe VanDervoort, the most experienced trial lawyer in Butte County. We are located in Butte County but we handle cases from Shasta to Colusa County. We have multiple attorneys and administrative assistants on staff available to handle your case. We are the most experienced Criminal Law Firm north of Sacramento and can give you immediate and personal attention.
I have practiced law for more than 40 years and am devoted to giving clients the best representation possible in criminal cases, to defend them from frivolous charges and overzealous police and courts, and to protect their rights.
Experience is what counts. No other lawyer in the Butte County area has more years of practice in criminal defense. I am the only lawyer north of Sacramento and south of Eureka who is a specialist member of the California DUI Lawyers Association (CDLA) which is the oldest and largest DUI organization in the United States. Many of the young attorneys in our area were schooled by me.
I came to Butte County soon after law school and quickly adopted it as my home. I have been very active in the Chico community, having served as President of the Chamber of Commerce, as Exalted ruler of the Brotherhood of Elks, and president of the Oroville Planning Commission. I care deeply about making sure that each of my clients gets the best representation possible, as is their right in our legal system.
- University of California Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts, 1969, Dean’s List scholar
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1972
- Teaching assistant to an author and famous Criminal Law professor
- Author of numerous legal treatises and hand books studied in many law schools and by future lawyers studying to pass the California State Bar Exam
- Judge Pro Tem in Chico and Oroville courts
- Instructor Law Teaching Credential, 1973
- Exalted ruler of B.P.O.E
- Chamber of Commerce President
- President of Planning Commission
As a lawyer, I know that sometimes we all make mistakes along the way. However, it is oftentimes difficult for the justice system to differentiate our mistakes from the real crimes. If you made a mistake for which you are now accused of a crime, I can help you. If you have a legal problem, let me help you solve it. As an attorney and private citizen, I am committed to preserving and broadening our civil rights in Northern California and the United States.
As a citizen, I am philanthropically oriented. The proclamation, “Ask not what your country can do for you” seems to have fallen by the wayside; yet, it is certainly our responsibility to care for each other and ourselves, not that of someone else. The best approach, in my view, is to encourage the undertaking of personal and civic responsibility instead of the discouragement thereof. As a result, I have always been a volunteer in the community.
- California Western School of Law, Law, JD – Juris Doctor
- Southwestern University School of Law, International Business Transactions, Coursework
- Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University, MABA Trial Tactics, Coursework
- Universidad del Salvador, Argentina, Latin American Institutions, Coursework
- California State University, Chico, Political Science, Bachelor of Arts
- California State University, Chico, Spanish, Minor Bachelor of Arts
- Judge Pro Tem in Glenn County
- Rated Superb by AVVO a perfect 10
My wide range of experience includes criminal defense as a private attorney, being Deputy County Counsel for Colusa County, and both teaching law and serving as counsel at California State University Chico, all of which serve me well in providing the best defense possible for each of my clients. I am very involved in youth sports in Chico, having been a manager and coach for nine different youth teams. Bi-lingual services: Spanish and English.
- Cal Northern School of Law, Juris Dotorate
- California Lawyers Associate, Revised Rules of Professional Conduct
- Taught Justice System Administration at CSU, Chico
- Consultant for the Town Hall Meeting on Legalization of Marijuana
- Guest Lecturer on Domestic Violence, Recidivism and Criminal Conduct
- Winner of the Witkin Award for Academic Excellence
Professional and Academic Affiliations:
- California Bar Association
- Butte County Bar Association
- ARC of Butte County Board of Directors
- National Federation of Paralegal Association
- Chico Noon Exchange Club
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice